Thursday, February 7, 2013

So...Do Seams Go On The Inside?



So here’s the update on where we are at three months post settling down at home.

The girls are speaking all day in English!!! Yeah! There are some syntax things that need to be fixed, but in time! For now it’s a celebration that all day long, we are talking and understanding each other more and more.

The other day Kalkidan played with her dolls for the first time all in English! It was fun to know what was going on. Basically, one of the dolls was famous and everyone was trying to take her picture. The other doll was a friend and trying to keep everyone back and give the famous doll some space!  So cute!

It brought my heart joy because when we first got home, we had  tried to play together with dolls, but it was just so silent. I sadly  didn’t know any Amharic words for playing with dolls and she didn’t know any English ones. To think how far we have come in three months!

Homeschooling is  also coming along quite nicely. Although I will admit, teaching all day and then trying to do anything else is almost impossible. Needless to say, I DON’T do much of anything else.  J  Sorry to all of my friends whom I never see anymore and who longer receive birthday cards, messages etc from me!  And sorry to Bill who no longer has clean laundry.
When I look at all the work they’ve done, I am impressed. It’s been a  struggle at times, because the Ethiopian school system was very different than ours and even though we are schooling at home, we are sticking with a very traditional American model.  Lots of  writing, reading and math.

But, that's not to say that we haven’t done anything creative!  One day for an art project we  all sewed a dress for a doll! That was exciting until Bill came home and said, "Oh neat, but I thought the seams went on the inside??”  L

And well, it’s true , seams DO go on the inside.....

 

 

 

2 comments: